Here is a list of online resources writers find handy to find everything from VOCABULARY to DATE and TIME to NAMES to COSTUMES and all kinds of other other cool stuff.
Your additions and suggestions are most welcome.
From the website of LisaLickel.com
· AlphaDictionary -http://www.alphadictionary.com/index.shtml provides access to a variety of different dictionaries and articles on words and word usage.
· Online Etymology Dictionary - provides historical meaning and sounds of words. http://www.etymonline.com/index.php
· Guide to Grammar and Writing http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/
- http://www.faceturn.com/ - use a digital face to see what expressions look like
· Using Body Language -http://changingminds.org/techniques/body/body_language.htm -A great resource on how emotions and mental states reveal themselves in body language.
· http://Timeanddate.com - provides historical printable calendars and other great information
· http://www.copyright.gov/ - United States Copyright office online
· Writer's Dream Tools -http://www.writersdreamtools.com/view/decades/default.asp?Decade=1650 great reference site for historical research
· www.CostumeGallery.com - provides information on clothing from the 18th Century to the 20th Century.
· http://www.costumes.org/ - a broader resource on historical clothing.
· www.OldandSold.com Antiques Auction and Marketplace - A great resource for finding historical artifacts.
· Word hippo – http://www.wordhippo.com
· http://www.names.mongabay.com/baby_names/ For character names in any era - learn the most popular names of historical periods, cultures, or develop a unique name of your own
· For writing about law enforcement scenarios:
· To determine legitimate resources: http://www.whoishostingthis.com/resources/credible-sources